New Year, New Recipes!
Compliments of the New Year to you, fellow healthy-eating enthusiasts! It’s 2016 and Banting is gaining more and more momentum. Not surprising, when those who took to it earlier in the Revolution are showing enviable results that speak for themselves.
And if you, like me, have fallen of the Banting wagon (a few times) – fear not! A New Year – in fact each new day is a chance to get back on track.
Since arriving home from an excellent, albeit totally indulgent holiday, our meals at home have been healthy and 100% Banting-friendly. In this Johannesburg heat it’s far easier to get back into the swing of fresh, crunchy salads in the evenings – ain’t nobody got time for hot, stodgy meals!
So, without further ado, here is one of the delicious dinners we’ve churned out this week. It’s light, low-carb – and totally delicious!
Bacon, Feta & Peppadew Quiche
You will need:
- 8 whole, free-range eggs
- ½ cup fresh cream
- 120g mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 250g (1 pkt) streaky bacon, chopped
- 70g (1 round) plain feta cheese
- 8 peppadews, sliced
- Salt & freshly ground Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Fry the bacon until crispy and set aside to cool.
- While the bacon is cooling, whisk together the eggs and the cream.
- Pour the egg mixture into a well-greased pie dish.
- Sprinkle the cheddar cheese, feta cheese and sliced peppadews evenly into the egg mixture.
- Finally, sprinkle the bacon evenly into the mix.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper – careful, the feta cheese, cheddar cheese and bacon are all fairly salty already.
- Bake in the middle of your pre-heated oven for 35-40 minutes. The quiche is ready when it is firm and no longer wobbly in the center.
- Serve with a nice, big crunchy side salad.