With the cooler weather rolling in at last, this meal has become a firm favourite in our household. A simple one-pot wonder, this is Banting comfort food at it’s best.
I’m back on the Banting wagon (for the…. millionth time?) but the rest of my household is not. Luckily, this is a meal we can all enjoy, whether we’re cutting carbs or not.
If you’re banting like me, serve with cauliflower rice and eat with a spoon, so you don’t miss out on any of the rich, tasty sauce!
Creamy Low-Carb Chicken à la King
You will need:
- 8 chicken thighs, skin on and bone in
- 1 Tbs coconut oil
- 1 large onion
- 250g white button mushrooms
- 1 cup cream
- 2 cups chicken stock
- ½ cup dry white wine (leave out if you’re being stringent about cutting carbs)
- 2 green peppers, sliced
- In a heavy-based pot, heat the coconut oil on medium heat. Dice the onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add the sliced green peppers and sauté for a further two minutes, or until the peppers have softened slightly.
- Deglaze with the white wine, if you are using, and allow to cook down for a minute or two.
- Arrange the chicken thighs skin-up on top of the onion mixture and pour in the chicken stock.
- Thinly slice the button mushrooms and arrange them on top of the chicken thighs.
- Cover and cook on medium heat for half an hour, stirring occasionally so that the mixture does not catch on the bottom.
- Add the cream and turn up the heat. With the lid off, let the mixture reduce and thicken for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.