Whether you’re Banting or not, these are an excellent low-carb alternative to bread rolls.
Many who are following or who have tried to follow an LCHF/Banting lifestyle will testify that one of the more difficult parts of it is cutting out bread.
No more toast, hotdogs, croissants or french toast… no snackwiches, jaffles or sarmies. Cold turkey. It’s not for the faint-hearted.
Fear not, though! Where there’s a will, there’s a way – and some clever muppet thought up oopsie rolls. They’re every disciplined banter’s answer to bread rolls, and a fantastic staple for several spring-time meals.
This recipe makes for an extremely versatile bread-substitute and it couldn’t be simpler!
Watch this space for more oopsie recipes…
You will need:
- 3 eggs, separated
- 125g plain full-fat cream cheese
- ½ Tbs psyllium husks
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp mustard powder
- pinch salt
- baking paper or coconut oil for greasing
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees celcius.
- Line a sheet tray with baking paper or grease with coconut oil.
- Beat the egg whites with the salt until stiff peaks form.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the egg yolks, cream cheese, mustard powder, baking powder and psyllium husks.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the cream cheese mixture.
- Spoon the mixture into rounds on your sheet tray, leaving some room inbetween. They may spread out slightly during baking.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before eating.
*tip – These oopsies will keep for 2-3 days in an airtight container in the fridge.